Whispering on Twitch is a great way to have private conversations with other users without the need to publicly comment or send direct messages. It’s a handy feature that allows streamers and viewers to communicate more discreetly. In this article, I’ll guide you through the process of whispering on Twitch and share some personal insights along the way.
Step 1: Understanding Twitch Whispers
Whispers on Twitch are essentially private messages that you can send to other users. They are similar to Direct Messages on other social media platforms. Whispers can be sent to anyone on Twitch, whether they are a streamer or a viewer.
Step 2: Sending a Whisper
To send a whisper on Twitch, you have two main options:
- Option 1: Using the Chat Box
- Option 2: Using the Whispers Tab
If you’re watching a stream and want to whisper to someone, start by opening the chat box. You can do this by clicking on the chat icon located at the bottom-right corner of the stream window.
Once the chat box is open, type “/w” followed by the username of the person you want to whisper to. For example: “/w TwitchUser123”.
After typing the username, add a space and then type your message. Hit Enter to send the whisper.
My personal tip: It’s always a good idea to be polite and respectful when whispering to others. Remember that the same rules of conduct that apply to public chat also apply to whispers.
If you prefer a more organized way of managing your whispers, Twitch provides a dedicated Whispers tab. To access it, click on your profile avatar at the top-right corner of the screen and select “Whispers” from the dropdown menu.
On the Whispers tab, you can see your whisper history, reply to whispers, and send new whispers by clicking on the “New Whisper” button.
My personal insight: Using the Whispers tab is particularly helpful if you want to keep track of your conversations and have a clean chat box while watching streams.
Step 3: Managing Your Whispers
As you start using whispers more frequently, you may want to manage them efficiently. Here are a few tips:
- Filtering Whispers: Twitch allows you to filter your whispers. You can filter them by friends, moderators, or even specific users. To set up filters, go to your Whispers settings by clicking on your profile avatar and selecting “Settings” from the dropdown menu. Then, navigate to the “Whispers” section.
- Blocking Whispers: If you ever want to block someone from whispering you, you can do so by opening the chat box, typing “/block” followed by the username and hitting Enter. This will prevent them from sending you whispers.
- Unblocking Whispers: To unblock someone, go to your Twitch settings, click on “Privacy & Security” in the left menu, scroll down to the “Blocked Users” section, and click on the “Unblock” button next to the username you want to unblock.
Whispering on Twitch is a useful way to have private conversations with other users. Whether you choose to use the chat box or the Whispers tab, make sure to follow Twitch’s community guidelines and be respectful when engaging in whisper conversations. Now that you’re equipped with the knowledge of how to whisper on Twitch, go ahead and enjoy the benefits of discreet communication!